June 18, 2012

Moerlein Lager House

Some pics and a few comments of May ROTM (restaurant of the month) at Moerlein Lager House.  We went on the evening of the Smale Riverfront Park dedication and it was an all-around fun evening; culminating in a fireworks show.  Does it get much better than that?  Nope. 

Beer...
Parmesan garlic fries with sides of black pepper aioli, curry ketchup and regular ketchup.
Our table split a meat and cheese board comprised of house-made goetta, candied pork belly, mozzarella and bacon chive cream cheese.  Delicious.  When I go back I will likely order a meat and cheese board for my entree, it was very fresh and satisfying and the perfect amount for one or two people to share. Lager House offers a selection of six meats and seven cheeses and you can choose a board with any variation of 2 or 3 meats/cheeses. 
I get that a Caesar salad does not scream "German biergarten" but I give this salad two thumbs up.  It was flavorful and the perfect precursor to a smaller meal, say, if you're splitting an entree or one of the previously-mentioned meat and cheese boards.
And now for one of the worst mis-orders of my life: Hops Smoked Pork Belly with spaetzle, marinated mushrooms and creamy Brussels sprouts.  Do you ever have one of those nights where you simply can't figure out what you want to order?  So you look at the menu compulsively and make a minimum of 5 different selections and when the server asks you what you want you blurt out the one thing you really don't want?  Yep, I do that too, I did it at the Lager House, and it made me grumpy.  The best part of this dish was the spaetzle, but even that was not the best.  The items on this plate were collectively too heavy and the flavors clashed.  Again, mis-order on my part.  My palate said "NO" to it all. 

                          
I didn't try the baby back ribs but I heard they were good and the sauce, apparently, has a bit of a kick to it.  Perfectly complemented by a mound of onion rings on the side.

                          
The surf and turf got rave reviews as well; 6oz filet and lump crab cake.  I did not try the surf or the turf but I did enjoy my taste of the spinach risotto and would consider splitting this dish on a future visit.
Here's a picture of the view from our outdoor table on the west side of the restaurant.  The park was full of people of all ages and I loved seeing all the energy and excitement!

Moerlein Lager House on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Candied pork belly? Oh, wow! All of those dishes look outstanding. We'll have to put that place on the list.

    ReplyDelete