July 4, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

Happy 4th of July!  In honor of our nation's independence I would like to share one of my favorite, most crowd-pleasing recipes.  It's perfect for summer parties and I don't think I've ever ended up with leftovers when I make this.

First things first, ingredients:  One yellow or white cake mix, 2 pints of strawberries, a handful of blueberries, 2 small boxes of vanilla instant pudding (or 1 large box), 1 small container of whipped topping (not from an aerosol can). 

First bake the yellow cake.  I use two 9-inch pans to decrease the baking time but this part really doesn't matter.  After the cake is done cut it into small square pieces.  While the cake is in the oven cut up the strawberries and make the vanilla pudding according to the directions on the box.  Once the pudding is mixed and set, gently fold in a container of whipped topping. 
After you have everything baked, mixed, and cut you can then begin the layering process.  First start with a layer of cake on the bottom, followed by strawberries and then top with the pudding/whipped topping mixture.  Repeat this 3 times.  I use a glass trifle dish but you can really use any type of large serving bowl or cake pan; you may need to decrease the number of layers depending on the depth of the dish.


Tada!
The American Flag design on the top is optional, I was feeling very festive today.  If you are not a strawberry fan you can make a trifle dessert with just about any combination of sweets.  Strawberry shortcake happens to be one of my favorite desserts but I have also made this dish with brownies, pudding/whipped topping mixture and heath bar pieces.  The possibilities are endless.  Now, go celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. So cute how you made a little flag on top of it. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your trifle up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete