May 22, 2011

Go OTR 5K & Summer Celebration

It was a fabulous day watching runners, enjoying delicious food (including gourmet popsicles!) and taking in the beauty that is OTR at the 5K and Summer Celebration.  I wasn't able to take part in the 5K due to prior commitments but I was in the neighborhood and the runners went right past me on Main Street.  Lots of people and lots of puppies!
I headed down to the Summer Celebration on Vine Street between 12th and 13th.  The first thing I saw as I turned the corner was the Taco Azul truck; EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I enjoyed an al pastor (pork) taco and an order of chips and salsa; they were already out of guacamole which seems to be a theme with me lately. Both were delicious but I regret not asking for sour cream on my taco. 


There was quite a back-log on orders so I had to wait about a 1/2 hour to get my food, which gave me a chance to browse vendors and make some decisions on my next food purchase.  At this point it had turned into an 80 degree day and I knew I couldn't go wrong with the lemon sorbet from Dojo Gelato.

I noticed tons of people walking around with popsicles and finally spotted the vendor, Streetpops. They make small batches of gourmet popsicles in very unique flavors.  Because there is always room for a popsicle, I tried the Strawberry Mint and it was SO refreshing and delicious.

I couldn't believe I'd never before heard of Streetpops but that's because the Summer Celebration was their debut event. The owner hopes to sell the popsicles in stores such as Park & Vine and also at other events in OTR like 2nd Sunday on Main. 

On my way out I couldn't resist stopping at Sweet Peace Bakery's booth to get a vegan baked-good roadie.  I went with the (melty) chocolate chip cookie.  Next time I'm committed to trying the oatmeal cream pie, yum!  I think I'll end this post with a picture of a vegan chocolate chip cookie and call it a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment